Sunday, October 12, 2014

Tutorial - Gaffer's Tape Journal Binding and WeRMK Euro Power Punch

Hi, it's Darcie again. Thank you so much for joining us on our Ustream show last Saturday! Here is the vintage mask we altered to contain a mini-album.



It was so fun sharing childhood memories with you! We also enjoyed the pictures you posted on Twitter of you in your Halloween costumes :-) so cute! I showed you how to make a buckle binding with the WeRMK Euro Hole Power Punch and gaffers tape. It is a strong vinyl-coated fabric tape that can be used similarly to duct tape. I had it on hand and it was black, so there ya go.

 


 I came up with three different ways to bind albums with it and I am sure there are many others. The one we made on Saturday was a simple buckle binding using 1" wide rings made out of gaffers tape and Velcro.  It is lightweight, versatile and doesn't limit you to the size of the album you want to make.  You can use buttons, large brads or the bling I used. It will be pretty either way.  If you want to see the complete instructions for the Halloween version, check out our Ustream channel, ScrappyCamperSisters.




I also made two more styles for journals, a chipboard-covered one and a simple folded cover.   Here are pictures of what I was describing in this video. To make a chipboard cover, make a three part cover and line each piece with the paper of your choice. Tape the pieces together with the gaffers tape after punching the holes in the spine.  This is what the cover looks like inside when you are joining the cover pieces. You only place the tape up to the holes in the spine. Tape on both sides.


 Add the pages and wrap the gaffers tape "rings" through the spine. Isn't it purdy? You can use buttons, brads or bling like I did here.






 
For the folded cover journal below, I used several pieces of 8 1/2" x 11" colored card stock, folded each one in half on the long side and then punched with the Euro Power Punch as in the journal above. To make the cover, I cut a larger piece of card stock so that it was 1/4" wider to cover the pages and scored it down the middle. I then stacked my folded pages and fit them inside the cover.  I traced inside the hole on the pages with a pencil to mark the inside of the cover where the punch should go so that it would match the pages. Next, I folded the cover inside out and then punched, following my markings.



Here is the inside of this journal:




I folded it back and put the pages in.  Here is the outside. I used duct tape this time on the spine:



And here is the finished journal. These are all quick and easy - I hope you will try them!





2 comments: